- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes, then cook in 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in colander and set aside.
- Cook bacon in 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. fat from pot, then cook scallions, corn, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and red-pepper flakes in fat in pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until scallions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add milk and cream and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to moderately low, then add potatoes, salmon, bacon, salt, and pepper, and cook, gently stirring occasionally, until salmon is just cooked through and begins to break up as you stir, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaf before serving.
- Garnish with chives and smoked paprika. Serve with fresh bread.
Wine pairing: Chardonnay or Riesling