- Dry cod with paper towels, cut it into 4 equal pieces. Season fish with sea salt.
- Heat a non-stick pan using medium-high heat. Add olive oil once oil is just shimmering (not smoking) add cod presentation side down, do not touch for 2 minutes then flip over and cook for another 2 minutes
- remove cod from pan and place in a baking dish and cover with plastic wrap.
- Using the same pan you seared the cod in reheat on medium high, add the garlic,fennel and onions into the pan and mix them with the oil, scrapping up anything that was left over from the cod,
- sauté for 1 minute then add the bell peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, season everything with sea salt, black pepper and a heaping 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika and stir everything together
- add tomato puree, season again with sea salt, black pepper and a pinch of white sugar, stir it all together until well combined and reduce to low heat.Simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the cod back into the pan place a lid on top simmer for 2 minutes then remove the lid.
Garnish with parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Serve over rice pilaf or marinated garbanzo beans.
Beverage Pairing: Malbec or Tempranillo.